South Coast Bus
South Coast Bus tour
DIVERSE LANDSCAPE COVERED IN 10-11 HOURS, GUIDED IN 10 LANGUAGES ALL YEAR AROUND
Follow the North Atlantic coastline from Reykjavík into the volcanic and glacier covered wonderland that is Iceland’s south coast. Walk behind the thundering veil of water at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, take in the incredible views from the top of Skógar Waterfall, stand on the world famous black sand beach at Reynisfjara and visit the charming coastal village of Vík.
The tour starts with a drive through lava fields, right by the actively volcanic Hengill mountain and then down to the rich coastline farmland. On clear days you will see Hekla Volcano and in the distance the glacier-capped Eyjafjallajökull Volcano will rise majestically above the coastal mountains at its base. Just a few kilometres off the coastline and easily visible are the volcanic Westman Islands, an archipelago of around 15 small islands, one of which is inhabited.
Our first stop is at Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach, which is every photographer’s dream. The powerful Atlantic waves crashing on the black sands, the jagged basalt sea stacks and the huge basalt-column cave are a sight to simply take your breath away.
After being amazed by the power of the sea in Reynisfjara Beach we will head on to Vík. The village of Vík is the southernmost village in Iceland, located on the main ring road around the island. Despite its small size (291 inhabitants) it is the largest settlement for 70 km.
On our way back to Reykjavík, we stop by the the powerful Skógafoss Waterfall where a short walk up a flight of steps will reveal one of Iceland´s most scenic views that includes glaciers, volcanoes and black sandy beaches. We then stop at the 60-metre high Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, famous for the hidden pathway behind and around it.
Visiting the natural treasures of the South Coast should definitely be on your Iceland Top Five.
Sólheimajökull Glacier: a picturesque glacial tongue extending from the Myrdalsjökull glacier.
Reynisfjara: the famous black sand beach with jagged lava rock columns, basalt columns and the massive cave below soaring sea birds.
Vík: Iceland’s southern most town with beautiful houses under the church upon a hill.
Skógafoss: The powerful glacial waterfall with stairs leading up to one of Iceland´s most scenic views of glaciers, volcanoes, black sand beaches and possible sheep.
Seljalandsfoss: The 60 meter high waterfall, famous for the hidden pathway which leads next to and around to the other side.
– Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time. We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
– If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
– You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. It is featured with lavatory facilities as standard. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
– Lunch is NOT included, but in Hvolsvöllur, Reynisfjara, and Vík there are shops where you can buy food and drinks.
Prices: Teenagers 12-15 years 50% discount & children 0-11 years old free.
Available all year round (depending on weather)
Min: No minimum number of participants.
Age limit: No age limit.
Bring with you: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm, waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended.
In-Bus-Audio-Guide: We recommend that you bring your own headphones, simply because they will fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don’t have your headphones, with you or forgot to bring them, no worries we sell earphones on board.
Duration: 10-11 hours, including a minimum 30 minute stop at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall, Skógafoss Waterfall & Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach.
Total distance covered during the tour: 350 km
– In-bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
– Knowledgeable local guide
– Admission to the sights
– Free Wi-Fi and USB-charger for each seat
FRIENDLY CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
Full refund if cancelled due to weather. Cancellation fee can be witheld if cancelled with short notice.
1 day notice: 100% charge